Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Good-bye Caruthers Ward

25 years ago my family moved to Caruthers.  We've gone to the same ward for all of those 25 years.  I even got married and moved to another town - yep, still in the same ward boundaries!  We are a small ward, but our boundaries are something crazy like 30-40 miles across.  Many people had to drive far to get here, but no one seemed to mind so much.  We are a family, after all!  However, dysfunctionally functional :)
Last Sunday, after 33+ years of the ward being in existence, the church leadership decided it would be best to dissolve the ward.  A sad day.  I whole heartedly support, sustain and honor our loving stake presidency and our prophet, counselors, etc.  I know that this decision came from the Lord and I do believe that many blessings will come through this test of our faith.
The most difficult part is that our ward family is going to be split up quite drastically.  Those living at the north end of our boundaries will be going to Kerman ward and be in a completely different stake.  Included in this group is our "sister" Cori and her family and my dear friend Elisabeth, Colby's best buddy Cami and their family.  Major bummer there.  Next, those living in the central part of our boundaries (including my parents and sisters) will be going to the Selma ward, while those on the south side of the boundaries are separated between Lemoore (that's me) and Hanford wards.  So that means I don't get to attend church with my family anymore.  No more Nana in nursery with Maci and no more helpers in keeping my wild ones quiet in Sacrament meeting!  Ah!
All complaining aside, I am super sad to be leaving the family that I've gone to church with for the last 25 years.  At the same time, I feel a lot of peace about the changes that are happening.  Something inside is telling me that things are changing for good and that I need to be faithful and embrace it.  I hear very good things about the Lemoore Ward.  It isn't too much longer of a drive for me, meets at the same time as Caruthers Ward did, and has a lot of young families in it.  I'm most excited that my kids will have lots more kids at church with them.  And it will be nice to attend a larger ward where I may not have to have more than one calling at a time! 
I will be forever grateful for the Caruthers Ward and the opportunity I had to grow up in it.  I learned how to serve, how to give talks (often), how to fulfill callings, how to make things work, be flexible, and love others.  I was the primary pianist before I was even out of primary, the organist since I was in high school, attended early morning seminary, earned my Young Women in Excellence Award there, served in the Young Women Presidency, Relief Society, and Primary.  I can count on one hand the number of times that I was able to attend Gospel Doctrine or Relief Society on Sunday when another calling didn't pull me elsewhere.  Maybe I'll get to go to Sunday School and Relief Society now :)
 
So, Goodbye Caruthers Ward...
 Not goodbye to the doctrine, teachings, or these beautiful little children of God :)
 Oh and no goodbye to Colby's primary teacher, Sister Wharton - she's coming to Lemoore with us!  Although probably won't be his teacher anymore...
Oh these kiddos had lots of fun on their last day here.  Lots of singing, instruments, and fun.
 Maci's first official day in nursery and Nana wasn't there!  I was worried that she would scream and wouldn't stay in there.  She just adopted Nana and Papa Hatch as her own and loved it!  What a blessing :)
 Our primary was quite full on our last meeting!
I gave one last Sharing Time...
 Good-bye Caruthers Ward Primary - October 14, 2012
 
 
I’ll Go Where You Want Me to Go
Hymns no. 270
1. It may not be on the mountain height
Or over the stormy sea,
It may not be at the battle’s front
My Lord will have need of me.
But if, by a still, small voice he calls
To paths that I do not know,
I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in thine:
I’ll go where you want me to go.
[Chorus]
I’ll go where you want me to go, dear Lord,
Over mountain or plain or sea;
I’ll say what you want me to say, dear Lord;
I’ll be what you want me to be.
2. Perhaps today there are loving words
Which Jesus would have me speak;
There may be now in the paths of sin
Some wand’rer whom I should seek.
O Savior, if thou wilt be my guide,
Tho dark and rugged the way,
My voice shall echo the message sweet:
I’ll say what you want me to say.
3. There’s surely somewhere a lowly place
In earth’s harvest fields so wide
Where I may labor through life’s short day
For Jesus, the Crucified.
So trusting my all to thy tender care,
And knowing thou lovest me,
I’ll do thy will with a heart sincere:
I’ll be what you want me to be.
Text: Mary Brown, 1856–1918
Music: Carrie E. Rounsefell, 1861–1930


1 comment:

lilybit said...

I thought I was done being all emotional...