Friday, January 20, 2012

Play At Home Mom

Ah, wouldn't it be nice to just stay home and play all the time!
I try to play and engage my kiddos as much as possible, but we all know keeping the house clean, the family fed, the projects done, the bills paid, doesn't always leave much time or energy for it. So we do what we can.
I love this blog: http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/ We get a lot of ideas and inspiration from the activities they post. It's just a group of mom's who spend a lot of time playing and encouraging learning activities for their kids.
Here is a simple activity I stole from the Play at Home Mom blog that Colby loved! This is the set-up. A large blanket separating containers on the right holding lots of different objects (in our case counting bears, letters, and a box of random small toys) with "tools" aka spoons, cups, tongs and empty containers on the left.

The goal is to get the things on the right over to the left using the tools and trying not to drop anything.

Colby wanted to try all the different tools.



I left the project set up and he played with it off and on all day. He started thinking of other "tools" he could use, like dump trucks and loaders (surprise, surprise). I tried not to give him too much direction. He would lump everything he could into one container, then he started separating different toys into different containers, going back and forth across the blanket. By the end, he was separating by color...


Since this day, he's asked for the same activity a couple of times, and it's easy to set up and clean up since he usually ends up with all of these toys out anyway. "Mommy, I love this activity this big much. I want to play it all day and all night!"

Play away, my little love.