Saturday, March 28, 2015

New Toy and Snip Snip!

March 17, 2015
I took Hannah in for her weight check last week and had the pediatrician check again for a tongue-tie.  "Well, there might be one there..."  Ya, ya think?!?!  I am damaged and she had poor weight gain.  I went to see my dear lactation angel friend Kristi and she agreed.  I should have gone to see her sooner.  I then made an appointment at the Breastfeeding Medicine clinic to be assessed by Dr. Evans.  Hannah has a posterior tongue tie with a high arch palate - not a good combination for breastfeeding.  She can get milk effectively (she is now gaining 1oz/day) but it causes damage to mommy and she tends to swallow a lot of air.  Right then and there Dr. Evans and her assistant swaddled her up, numbed the area a little, lifted the tongue snd snip snip!  It bled and she cried for all  of about a minute.  I held her and nursed her immediately after and she never bled or fussed about it again.  And guess what, I didn't either :)  Nursing was instantly more comfortable and I could finally heal.  Such a simple fix!  Hannah also has a thickened lip tie (upper lip to gums) but that doesn't cause a problem at this point so it will be clipped by a dentist later on if it becomes a problem with her teeth.

March 18, 2015
We set up Hannah's new play gym today - she likes it!
 
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow- that's something I haven't had to deal with. How nice to find some relieve.