Sunday, March 8, 2015

February 25, 2015 - Pictures at the Hospital

Hannah got to meet her namesake today.  
I have to be honest, we had a rough day.  It was a constant stream of stimulation and interruptions.  Pediatrician, newborn screen, obstetrician, hearing screen, let's dig our hands into your fresh surgical wound to check your fundus again, visitors from the NICU (more than welcome destraction), and on and on.  I mentioned in the last post that Hannah is a hungry baby.  Add on the fact that she was constantly being poked and prodded and irritated - she was latched on pretty much the entire day and if she wasn't latched on she was SCREAMING.  And in all of my IBCLC training and wisdom, she was latching poorly.  So Mommy was in pain, Hannah was irritable and it made for a very long and painful day.  In walks the hospital photographer, "Time for newborn pictures!"  I felt like screaming but resisted - although she probably saw the look on my face.  No, thanks.  We will not be doing pictures today.  Try back tomorrow.  Bad day.
In the afternoon, Kyle left to go feed cows and take care of things at the dairy and my mom came in to stay with us until he got back.  I was exhausted and emotional.  I had managed to finally get a shower and that made me feel a little better.
Then in walked Elisabeth.  I had asked her to come and was truly excited to see her, but I was worried about how the visit would go after the day we had.  Luckily she came in the afternoon/evening because I think by that time Hannah had worn herself out from crying and actually relaxed a bit.  Here is how her visit went...


























 I'm so glad she came.  It was a really beautiful piece of a really hard day.  My only regret is we didn't get a picture with Elisabeth in it.  


1 comment:

lilybit said...

I'm so sorry that it was a difficult day- you didn't show it at all. I just wanted to stay and hold her all evening.