I had to record this moment in time...
On some (most) nights, Colby fights sleep and says he is scared of the dark, of the shadows, of ghosts, etc. and wants us to lay with him until he falls asleep. This most of the time leads to me or Kyle spending most of the night in his room because we inadvertently fall asleep, too. So last night he started with the same old routine and I explained to him that I still had a lot of things to do to get the house cleaned up so I wouldn't be laying with him, but I would come check on him later.
Colby: "But I'm just always so scared I can't fall asleep, Mommy."
Me: "Well whenever you're scared all you need to do is pray to Heavenly Father to help you and he will make you feel better. Maybe we could say a prayer right now."
Colby: "OK, Mommy."
He folded his arms and closed his eyes.
Colby: "Dear Heavenly Father, we're thankful for all these blessings. We're thankful for these prayers. Help me to sleep so I won't be scared. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. But Mommy, I'm still scared."
Me: "Well, Colby, Heavenly Father can't help you fall asleep unless you actually try. You haven't tried yet so he can't help you yet. Close your eyes and try and I'll come back and check on you."
I left the room and put some clean laundry away. About 5 minutes later I went back to his room and that sweet boy was relaxed and sleeping. I couldn't help but just stare at him for a little while. I moved, and our old wood floor creaked so loud, I'm surprised Maci didn't wake up in the next room. He opened his eyes and looked at me.
Colby: "Mommy, I just closed my eyes and Heavenly Father helped me fall right asleep. He always helps us do nice things."
Me: "Yes he does, buddy. We just have to pray and believe in him and he will help us."
Colby: "I love Heavenly Father. He gives us prayers."
Me: "He loves you, too Colby. Good night."
He closed his little eyes and was back to sleep. Melted my heart and I felt the Spirit so strong at that moment. I'm so thankful for prayer and my 3 year old's faith in it's power.
1 comment:
Beautiful! (maybe he wants to share this story in primary?)
Post a Comment