Thursday, June 21, 2012

I Make Pie Like A Samurai

A few years ago (2007 I think) at Thanksgiving, my mom asked me to bring a few pies as my contribution.  Sure!  I was a fairly newlywed and figured it was about time for me to learn how and actually make a pie.  So I started looking at recipes, asking around for tips, etc.  Well, that didn't last long before Kyle stopped me dead in my tracks.  I think I remember him saying something like, "Callie, Thanksgiving is kind of a big deal and I don't want you to get all upset when your pies don't turn out, which no offense but it's likely they won't."  Said in the most loving way, of course...
So we headed to Costco and bought a pecan and a pumpkin pie to take to Thanksgiving dinner.  I took them home, took them out of the container and put plastic wrap over them (as if I had baked them myself).  Off to Thanksgiving we went.
"Wow, Callie, I'm impressed!"
"Those look delicious!"
"What's in it?"
(Oh, not to worry, I had studied the ingredients lists before going ;))
They all cut into the pies and ate them up - delicious!
And the victory was delicious, until...
Kyle couldn't help but laugh.
My cover was blown.
Yes, I bought them at Costco.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Ahhh.  So now fast-forward almost five years.
Kyle and I like to watch a show called "Master Chef" where home cooks compete to become, well, the "Master Chef."  On a recent episode, a challenge was to make a classic American Apple Pie.  Amazingly, there is a blind contestant and she made a quite gorgeous looking pie.  Kyle's mouth was watering and he commented that he would love an Apple pie right about now.
Hmmmm.  We don't have any apples.  Pears?  No.  Bananas?  No!  Grapes?  Um, no!  Then I remembered - duh!  We have a whole tree full of ripe nectarines right outside our back gate.
The next day I searched for a recipe, found one and made my FIRST PIE EVER!
My Nectarine Pie
I didn't get a picture before Kyle ripped into it, but guess what... it was good!
The crust was flaky, golden and delicious.
The nectarines, for me, were perfect.  (Kyle is not a huge nectarine fan anyway so his vote doesn't count, but may I just add in here that he ate his whole slice).  He couldn't resist the comment, however that a blind lady could make a better pie than me ;)
I can make pie!
Victory for me :)  Watch out Thanksgiving!

Oh, and I found the recipe here.

2 comments:

lilybit said...

that is such a funny post. we watch master chef too- great job on the pie!

Sandy said...

Oh, the memory. Can't wait to taste your REAL homemade pies.