Tuesday, November 19, 2013

October Recap

October flew by without me taking many pictures.  It flew by without me doing very many Halloweeny activities with my kiddos.  It flew by without blogging or scrapbooking.
But it did have a lot going on that was good and wholesome and important.
First...
this started:
 Colby has shown an interest in piano lessons, so I decided we would try it out.  Luckily he has a mom that plays piano because piano lessons are hard to find around here!  It's my first time teaching, and his first time learning so we'll figure it out together!
 I realize he is in the very beginning stages and things are easy right now, but I'm quite proud of how well he's doing.  He picks up on the skills and music reading so quickly.  We do lessons every Wednesday and usually by Friday he's getting bored with the material and is ready for more.  I have to stop myself from moving faster, because I think it's important for him to really practice and let the stuff sink in, even though it's not new and exciting anymore.
Then...
Holy cow it's been 7 years since this happened!


















 Usually we don't do much to celebrate.  No gifts, nothing fancy.  Kyle surprised me with flowers and asked me out on a date - wow!  Sadly, we realized we hadn't been to a movie just the two of us since before we were even married!  And I can count on one hand the amount of times we've been to dinner alone since our kids were born.  It was a much needed date and we really enjoyed it!
Next...
Maci's first visit to the Emergency Room.  Not cool.  I am that mom that doesn't take her kids to the doctor until they are dying, so ya it was scary.  She got a bad case of bronchitis and then decided to stack croup on top of it.  We tried hot steamy showers, walking outside in the cold night air, suctioning, relaxation.  Nope.  Poor baby could not breathe.  So we took her into the ER at 11:00pm and she got a chest x-ray, breathing treatment and oral steroids.  She actually did really well with all of it.  Only cried when the heavily tattooed male respiratory therapist came in to give her the breathing treatment, so mom gave it to her instead.  They sent us home on antibiotics, more steroids and an inhaler.  Thank heavens for modern medicine.  She turned around pretty quick.
Also...
I took an Advanced NICU Core class at work every Tuesday for 8 hours.  It's a 6 week course that teaches physiology and goes in depth on how to take care of the sickest neonates in the unit.  It was a lot of work and really kicked my butt, but I'm so glad that I took it.  I learned a ton!  Oh, and I passed the test with the highest score in the class.  Woot! Woot!
And...
I FINALLY got my results from my International Board Certified Lactation Consultant Exam - PASSED!  Once more let me toot my own horn and then I will be done...
Callie Medeiros, RN, BSN, PHN, IBCLC
Hopefully I will add NIC (Neonatal Intensive Care national certification) to that in the next few months after I take another test.
Finally...
I did have a lot of fun with my family.  I didn't take many pictures, but I lived in the moment a little more and enjoyed our time without stressing over capturing it.  I really enjoyed general conference - what a spiritual reload!  We're listening to lots of music and dancing randomly around the house.  Life is good.

1 comment:

lilybit said...

It is no wonder Colby is a fast learner and that maci is tough- look at you!