Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I'm a Mom, that Works

The dreaded day has finally come. I go back to work tomorrow. Surprisingly I'm not as stressed and depressed about it as I was when I went back to work after having Colby. Of course then, I had to go back when he was 2 months old, I went back full time and I was a first time Mommy so it was AWFUL. This time, Maci is 4 months old, I've been through this before, I've got plenty of milk stored for her, I know we have AWESOME babysitters, and I'm only going part time (2 days a week). So I'm breathing and relaxing and not stressing.
I really contemplated not going back to work at all. I have thoroughly enjoyed maternity leave and would love to be a full-time stay at home Mommy. I even thought I might decrease my hours to just 1 day a week (which I still might, but work won't let me right now anyway). I think we could do it financially with some cut-backs and more attention to being frugal.
But as I considered not going back, then I started to miss my job. I was surprised at that. To give you an example of how much I have not missed it these last four months, my work bag still hangs right where it did when I came home from work the last day and I have not touched or thought about it since! So why do I miss it now? With all of the stress and the drama that work entails, I love my co-workers and I love the tiny little angel babies. And it's nice to have some "me" adult time where I feel like I'm using the knowledge and skill that I went to school and worked hard for and I enjoy.
The real clencher is the fact that I get 5 days a week with my kiddos at home, and only have to spend 2 at the hospital caring for other people's kiddos. Most people have to do the opposite. Plus I know that my kids are always with Daddy, Grandma or Nana when I am at work, not a daycare, so I am definitely counting my blessings. I don't really consider myself a working mom. I'm a Mom, that works - and that works for me.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Well said, Callie. I am so proud of you. You really have the best of both worlds. I do enjoy my Colby and Maci time and if you didn't work...I wouldn't get it.

Camille said...

I'm so happy for you that you are lucky enough to have both wonderful kids and a good job and are able to find a good balance for each.