Monday, October 4, 2010

Baby #2

I went for an ultrasound today and got a good look at our little peanut! By dates I am 11 weeks, 5 days. When they did the ultrasound, the baby measured at 12 weeks, 6 days. So either the baby is a big one or I'm due a little sooner. Either way, I'm almost out of my first trimester and will be having a baby sometime in April!
It was amazing to me how developed it already is at such an early stage of pregnancy. Love it!
Here's what's going on in week 12 if you're interested:
Baby weighs a full half-ounce and is about the size of a large plum.
Baby is developing reflexes.
Fingers will soon begin to open and close, toes will curl, eye muscles will clench, and the mouth will make sucking movements.
Intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into the abdominal cavity about now.
Kidneys will begin excreting urine into the bladder.
Nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and brain synapses are forming furiously.
The face looks unquestionably human: eyes have moved from the sides to the front of the head, and ears are right where they should be.
The fetal digestive system is beginning to practice contraction movements necessary for eating. Bone marrow is busy making white blood cells.
The pituitary gland (at the base of the brain) has started producing the hormones that'll enable him (or her) to make babies of his (or her) own in a couple of decades or so.
Amazing stuff!

2 comments:

Jamie Thomson said...

How exciting! I think it looks like a girl, but I guess you'll have to wait a few weeks to know for sure. Congrats!

Camille said...

I like how you put that him (or her) will not have babies for a couple of decades or so...