Monday, April 5, 2010

To Do:

I am blessed to be able to work part-time (only 2 days a week), which allows me lots of time to spend at home with my little man. My family can attest to the fact that I'm a little bit of a homebody. But being at home, not going many places, 5 days a week can even get me a little stir-crazy. Even though I don't really want to go anywhere, sometimes I get stuck in a little bit of a rut when I'm at home all the time. Don't get me wrong - being a wife and a mom is a full-time job that is in no way a lazy, passive thing, but even when you're busy with the daily tasks and child-rearing, you can start to feel a little down. So my solution to feeling down and lazy has been my To Do lists.
Right now my To Do list looks like this:
To Do:
  • Call ------
  • Clean Cabinets
  • Clean the ceilings
  • Find pictures for the bathroom
  • Fingerpaint with Colby
  • Clean Stovetop
  • Scrub Bathroom Grout
  • Call ---------
  • Primary Bulletin Boards

Currently most of the things on my list are spring-cleaning items, because that's the mode I'm in right now. So most of them seem pretty tedious and not fun. I usually don't put the daily tasks on there like laundry or dishes (but sometimes I do just so I can feel good about crossing something off!). And the items don't even have to be "work" - I like to put on there things like "make cards" or "water the flowers" or "do a scrapbook page" or "buy something fun," too.
Some people might say the list is a little daunting - especially when it gets to be 2 pages long! But the key for me is not to let the length or the content of the list stress me out. I write things on there whenever I think of them in my head and don't prioritize them at all. I do them out of order and as I feel like it. But my main goal is to accomplish at least 1 item per day. Some days I do 5 things in one day, it just depends.
Whether I do 1 thing or 5 things, the satisfaction is the same. At the end of the day, even though I haven't gone anywhere or seen many people, at least I accomplished something! It makes me feel good about my day and that's the whole point :-)

2 comments:

Torrey said...

I like that you put fun things on your list. Great idea!

Camille said...

I'm a list person too!