Colby: "I want candy."
Me: "How does it feel to want?"
And suddenly, I realize it. I'm becoming my parents. I remember clearly my mom and dad saying that very thing to me when I was growing up.
It's not a bad thing, it's a natural progression. I learned how to be a parent from my parents, after all. Hopefully my kids will appreciate it a smidge more than I did when I was little. I used to be so mortified when my mom pulled out her coupon box in the grocery store, now I have a coupon flex-binder (so much more up to date ;) ). I wondered why my dad would eat the "yucky" heels of the bread loaf instead of just tossing them out, now I eat them to reduce waste. I laughed when my mom saved the empty food containers to use for other things, now I have a stockpile of them. I begged my dad to let me keep my show on the TV during dinner, now I can't stand it if the TV is on during dinner. I complained when my mom made me do housework and chores, and at 3 Colby already has a list of chores.
And I probably did a major eye roll when my dad would tell me, "How does it feel to want?"
1 comment:
I feel that the older I get, the more I understand my Mom. Glad you are "getting" some of me. Hopefully only the good parts.
Post a Comment