Tonia Faye Payne, 73, passed away Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2009, in Las Vegas. She was born Feb. 8, 1936, in Boulder City, to Howard Leslie and Dora Chadburn Perkins. July 16, 1954, she married her sweetheart, James Calvin Payne in Overton. Tonia grew up in Torrance, Calif. She moved to Overton in the 10th grade and graduated from Moapa Valley High School. After their marriage, she and Calvin raised their family in Overton. Throughout her life, Tonia made an impact on many young people. Cal built a dance studio behind their home, where she taught dance lessons for many years. Later, she became the community librarian, where she helped many young people to expand their minds for more than 24 years. Her lifelong dream was to write a novel. After extensive research about her ancestors from Ireland, and several visits to Ireland, she published "Stairway to the Past" in 2005, and "Return to Dundrum Castle" in 2007. She was active in the LDS church, serving in various callings throughout her life. Tonia will be remembered as a very giving, compassionate and loyal friend, wife and mother.

We traveled to Nevada this last weekend to honor my grandma and attend her funeral. Here are a few pictures ...
Colby really liked grandpa's antique slot machine!
Family photo in our church clothes. Not the happiest of occasions, but it's not very often that we all get dressed up together so we took advantage.
At the cemetary. It was hot, but with the bagpipes piping and a million beautiful flowers, we hardly noticed the sun.
Grandma's 9 Grand-daughters (+ a few greats)
Grandma's 7 Grandsons carried her to her final resting place.
Did I mention the bagpipes? BEAUTIFUL! And so appropriate for our Gram.
I did not get my Grandma's writing skills, so it's hard for me to express how I feel about her or how to write an appropriate good-bye.
I will never forget her loving smile, her energy, her love of life and all things Ireland, her creativity, the way she would burst into song and dance, how she spoiled us so, and how she made you feel at home no matter what.
I know she is with her ancestors dancing a jig and looking over us as our guardian angel. Good-bye for now Gram. We'll see you in a little while.

5 comments:
Very nice Callie! Cute pictures! Glad I got to see you and your family!
A great post! Her funeral was so beautiful. Everything said that day was perfect. I love the picture of you and Grandma. It is still so hard to believe that she is not here with us.
Very nice Cal. I'd like copies of those pictures.
Beautiful! Can I have a copy of the granddaughter photo? E-mail it to me Ok? Please. It was a very fitting send off for grandma. She of course is happy with her new assignment, even if we are a bit sad to have her gone. I can't make it through a day yet without constant thoughts of my mom. I wish I had no regrets, but I have a few. Love to you and the family, especially my special nephew Kyle! :)
OK, the last comment was me, but I think went to Jenni, I don't really know how to do the blog thing!
Post a Comment