Wednesday, May 20, 2009

WARNING: Don't feed the baby!

I know I'm a new mom, and I probably don't do things perfectly. Who does? I've run into a new pet peeve this week...

I try to make sure that my 6 month old eats right, and eats pretty much according to the recommended guidelines. I realize they are a little strict, but he's my first child and I am being a protective mommy. So, this week I left him with a friend for like 10 minutes while I was working on the computer in another room. When I came back, my 6 month old who has never had anything but breastmilk and pureed baby food, had an entire rice cake in his mouth! What is a mom to do in this situation? I tried to play it off nicely and just said, "Wow, we haven't given him any solid food yet!" Her reply was "Well, he seems to be doing fine with it!" and she shoved more rice cake in! I promptly went and got him from her (he was covered in slobbery rice cake droppings).

OK, I realize I may over-react and that the rice cake (which kinda dissolves in his mouth anyway) was not going to kill him or harm him. But she had no prior knowledge of his eating habits, what he may or may not be allergic to, and she wasn't even sure of his age! Yet she thought it was OK to feed my son a part of her lunch!

We (his parents) have since given him new things to eat - and it's not the trying new things that I'm concerned about. We are first time parents and giving Colby his first anykind of food is a fun thing. I was robbed!

Note to self: don't leave baby with anyone for any amount of time without first agreeing on expectations!

I feel much better now, I think typing my dilemma out helped. I am not a crazy mother!

3 comments:

Monique said...

This reminds me of when Jacob was a baby. I was never going to let him have anything other than organic foods, no evil sugar or any additives. I left him with Leesa one afternoon and when I came back I found out he had been sucking down a shake from In-n-Out. It was all downhill from there:) Anyway, I totally understand your feelings and yes, expectations should definitely be clearly stated with any caregiver. Good luck:)!

Sunny said...

People love to feed babies. Sometimes it drives me crazy, but usually it is harmless. My husband Dave has some pretty severe allergies and my doctor warned me about introducing foods at an age appropriate time. Because of that I am cautious about the foods I introduce to our babies. Once, I caught my dad giving Jens whole nuts before he was even 1. Besides the chocking hazard, I was happy he didn't go into anaphylactic shock. That would have taught him! :)

I feel bad for you that you were robbed of that moment. You weren't there to see his immediate reaction. The good news is that there will be other firsts. No, you are not a crazy mother, it is natural to feel that way.

Adrienne said...

Definitely not crazy. Some people have no boundaries. I hate it when people insist that I should give my baby something (pop, m&m's, popcorn, etc.) that I am so not ok with. And even if you ever do over-react, you have a right to, being that he's YOUR son.

Anyway, Colby still fits in his bassinette? It's nice that he falls asleep on you, Ollie never cuddles! And I'm pretty upset about it. =(