Thursday, November 20, 2008

Birth Day!

November 15, 2008 - The story of our delivery
I woke up at 1:15am on Saturday morning and my water broke ... time to go to the hospital!

We got there, got checked in, and they started Pitocin because I wasn't contracting very effectively and we needed to get labor going since my water had broken already. At first, labor wasn't so bad. Yes, it hurt, but it was very bearable and Kyle was right there to do whatever necessary to make me more comfortable.

As the contractions got stronger and closer together, I knew it was time for the epidural. The IV pain meds just weren't doing much except making me dizzy. By this time my mom and sister Cara had arrived (my 2 other labor coaches) and were doing everything they could to help me, which was a lot!

I got the epidural around 1230 and felt almost instant relief. Never before had my mood changed so quickly! I was still only dilated to a 4 but with the almost absent pain, I figured I could handle waiting to dilate just fine.

By 5:30pm I was still only at 5-6 centimeters dilated even though my cervix was completely thinned. The doctor arrived to check things out and discovered that Colby's head was coming in the wrong direction and wasn't effectively dilating my cervix. Attempts to change his position failed, and it was decided to go ahead with the c-section.

Although Kyle and I were both a little nervous about the surgery, we knew it was the right choice for me and the baby. We were quickly prepped and before we knew it, we were in the OR. Kyle handled it very well - the doctors kept him at ease by talking about cows and making jokes. For me, it was the wierdest feeling I have ever felt. I could feel everything they were doing, but I couldn't feel it. Hard to explain, really. In a matter of minutes, I felt a lot of pressure on my stomach and out came our precious boy, Colby at 6:33pm. They held him up for us to see (conehead and all!) and I remember thinking he was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Sounds a little cliche, but that's really how I felt! I heard him cry and Kyle and I were both in tears.

Colby Sutton Medeiros

8 lbs. 2 oz. 21 inches

His first bath



Meeting Daddy




No comments: