Thursday, April 2, 2009

Dilemma

Ok, so I have a dilemma on my hands and I'm welcoming all advice!

The past few weeks, Colby has been getting up every 1-2 hours at night. I try to soothe him back to sleep in every way possible, which ends up in him getting very upset. So I end up giving in and nursing him, then it's back to sleep for another 1-2 hours.

I have always been very good about making Colby sleep in his bassinet and not in our bed. But a few nights ago I got so frustrated with the every 1.5 hours, that I layed him down in our bed to sleep. He slept so soundly for 5 hours straight!

So here's the dilemma:
Do I allow him to sleep with mommy and daddy and perhaps finally get a little rest at night?
OR
Do I stick to my guns and make him sleep in his bassinet, only to wake up a million times?
OR
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

HELP!

2 comments:

Sunny said...

I think if you are sleeping better and he is sleeping better then there isn't anything wrong with having him sleep with you. I am surprised you lasted a couple weeks of waking up every 1-2 hours to get him out of the bassinet. That is impressive.

I went through this same thing with Summer when she was about 5 months old. After about a month of very little sleep I decided to put her in bed with us. Then it seemed like she used me (excuse my plainness) as a pacifier almost all night. I finally talked to a friend about it and she recommended the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. I recommend it, but it isn't for everyone. It is basically a book that tells you when the baby reaches a certain age then it is ok to let him cry it out. After that I finally got some sleep. She wasn't crying all night or anything. In fact, it took 2 (hard) nights and then she would only wake up about 1-2 times at night to eat. It was heavenly.

My mom would always tell me to bulk him up with some solids before he went to sleep because he would go to bed on a full stomach. It made a difference with Jensen. He would sleep longer if I fed him solids and then a little while later I would nurse him before he went to sleep.

Ultimately, you are the mom and you know what is best for you baby and whatever decision you make it will be the right one. Good luck and hang in there.

Torrey said...

Oh no- I am so sorry! You have got to be exhausted!! If I were in your situation I would probably give in because a mama needs her rest! The problem with giving in is he may not sleep in his bed because snuggling with the mom is so much better! Then you have the battle of getting him to sleep in his own bed when it's time.

When Ethan was about Colby's age he had his nights and days mixed up. It's rough when they are up all night! I tried not letting him have too late of a nap so he would sleep well at night. It's a learning process and you will find what works best for you guys. A mommy knows best!