Friday, August 13, 2010

Camping

We headed for the great outdoors to get some fresh air and relax. This picture was taken about 2 minutes after we got there - Colby was already digging in the dirt and loving life!
We set up the tent, which he thought was pretty cool.
Then he helped Daddy build a fire.
Then we ate a yummy dinner. Although this picture doesn't make it look so yummy!
There was a fallen tree in our campsite, so we used the wood to make "birdhouses."
After checking out the beautiful stars, we decided it was time to hit the sleeping bag. Colby had other plans, though. "I don't want to go camping anymore! I want to go to Colby's house." I guess he wasn't too comfortable going to sleep in a very unfamiliar place. And it probably didn't help that Kyle took him on a "bear hunt" shortly before it got dark (not smart, I know). After some crying and some time sitting in the truck, he finally gave in and we snuck him into the tent.
The next morning we had a gourmet breakfast of s'more poptarts and linguica. Ya, ya, ya it was pretty lame, but I'm all for ease of packing and storing and cleaning! Colby thought that it was quite a treat!

We hung out around camp, then decided to go on a hike to check out the giant sequoias. These things never cease to amaze me!
Colby especially liked playing the the roots, which sometimes created little tunnels for him to go through.
After the hike, we did a little creek fishing to try out Colby's new fishing pole. It was already late in the day, so the fish weren't biting. But Colby still thought it was pretty fun.
Time to pack up and go home. Just a one night trip, but I think it was enough. We had a lot of fun and Colby kept talking about it all the way home. I think he had a little fun, too.

3 comments:

Monique said...

What a fun family memory!

Jamie Thomson said...

So fun! We just took the kids tent camping for the first time too, but we brought up donuts for breakfast! Looks like Colby had fun!

Sandy said...

Love the pictures! You are building great memories with your family.